The XCarLink adaptor is simply a box which interfaces between the iPod or iPhone and the CD radio head unit. The adaptor unit about the size of four match boxes and has two cables leading from it. One of the cables connects directly to the iPod or iPhone, the other to the CD changer port on the back of the head unit.
These instructions explain how I fitted the XCarLink adaptor into my VW Golf V (MK 5) TDI SE (2005)
The cable from the adaptor box plugs straight into the available CD changer socket on the back of the head unit. Before connecting, I ran the cable from the bottom of the centre console to behind the CD radio unit. In order to do this, the cigarette lighter and ashtray needs to be removed.
- Remove the gearstick cover. It pops out easily with little force needed.
- Beneath the cover reveals two screws. Remove these and the ashtray and cigarette lighter unit can be lifted up and out. You'll need to disconnect the cigarette lighter cable and ESP cable (if fitted.)
- I identified a suitable spot for locating the XCarLink interface unit beneath the ashtray and cigarette lighter unit.
- I routed the cable from the XCarLink interface box to the iPod / iPhone down a gap between the carpet and the centre console.
- Once all the cables are in place, switch on the CD radio and test the setup before putting the gearstick cover, centre console and dashboard back together.
- I use a piece of velco (the soft furry piece attached the iPhone) and the hooks attached the the dashboard. The iPhone isn't very heavy and the velco works well to support the iPhone in an upright position and within easy sight and reach for both the driver and passenger.
This was an easy install and took less than 45 minutes to complete from start to finish.
Good luck and enjoy!
I've checked out new iPhone accessories since posting this blog to find a suitable mounting system for the iPhone. See my later blog entry for more.